Chiroli Seed Dal
Beans and legumes are the main ingredients in dal, and I have found a keto-friendly replacement! Chiroli, which is a type of nut - is a great substitute for chickpeas, lentils, and beans when cooking dishes that require those ingredients. Try this homemade keto-friendly version of a delicious Indian staple today! - by Janti Brasali, Seriously Keto
Ingredients (Part 1)
- 100g Chiroli Seeds
- 4-5 cups Water (3 cups if using a pressure cooker)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 4-5 Cloves
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 pods Cardamon
- 2 tsp Garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp Ginger (chopped)
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Swerve
- 1/2 tsp Asafoetida (Optional)
- 2-3 Chili Padi (Optional)
Ingredients (Part 2)
- 50g Onions (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup Fresh / Canned Tomato Puree
- 1 1/2 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1 1/2 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Red Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Hung Curd / Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Fresh Cream
Instructions (Part 1)
- Begin by washing the Charoli seeds and removing the dust.
- In a large pot (or pressure cooker), add all the ingredients listed under INGREDIENTS PART 1.
- Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for 45-60 minutes until the beans are tender. (If you are using a pressure cooker, cook for 15 minutes.)
- Once the beans are tender, do not drain the liquid as it is required for the next part.
Instructions (Part 2)
- Heat up a saucepan with ghee. While the pan starts getting hot, add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle.
- Add the chopped onions with a pinch of salt. Saute them until they become caramelized and fragrant.
- Add the tomato puree and the rest of the dry ingredients except for garam masala.
- Cook this until it turns into a paste and you can see the oil sizzling on the side.
- Add in the mixture from PART 1.
- Finally, add the curd or yoghurt, and cream.
- Let it simmer until the mixture has thickened to your desired texture then add the garam masala.
- Make sure you taste your food and add more salt if necessary!
Best served with Coconut Naan or any other keto-friendly flatbreads. We enjoy having our leftovers as a dip with our ketobuns!